On Monday night we tried to teach the boys about the 4th of July. I'm on this big patriotic kick this year- maybe because Spencer's brother is serving in the army now. But I just love this country. On Sunday when we sang "My Country Tis of Thee" I actually started getting choked up- I'm such a baby.
Anyway, we taught Jackson what the name of our country is, what freedom is (according to him, it's the ability to go to church- those that don't have freedom don't get to go to church), and what our flag looks like. We also practiced the Pledge of Allegiance. Then the boys helped me top a dessert to look like a flag. It was such a fun night.
I just hope that we can teach them what a blessing it is to be a part of this country.

9 comments:
You made a cake and didn't share? That's not very patriotic...
What a fun FHE. I always get choked up when we sing patriotic hymns. And, if you didn't notice my non-American husband wasn't just choked up he was crying! He is always touched by the 4th because of all the opportunities he's been given here. Anyway, good for you! What a good lesson for your boys.
p.s. I loved the roly--poly post too. My kids LOVE those!
You are so creative and such a fun mom in teaching your boys about the 4th of July-so awesome and Proud to be an American!
What a great FHE idea! I might have to try that with my kids. I think it would be a great teaching opportunity so they understand that the 4th isn't just about BBQ's and fireworks.
You guys are so great!! I wish we lived closer so that Bobby and I could learn from you and spencer on doing fun fhe etc. Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow!! love you!!
AWESOME!!! I totally LOVE this post and hope you don't mind if I copy the FHE idea!!! :) Thanks for sharing!
Jeremy tried to teach our kids about the constitution for FHE last week. I think it was alittle over their heads, but Zach thought the fighting and mean England King was a good part.
I'm totally with you, and was choked up as well. I also lost it during the flag ceremony this morning at the breakfast. Which, BTW - was a great activity. Thanks for all of the hard work!
What a great idea! I'll have to copy you for next year. :) You look so cute and I like your haircut!
What a fun FHE! You are so cute, and I think it is great to teach our children to appreciate their priveledge to live in this wonderful country! Thanks for all your hard work with the breakfast, we had a great time!
Post a Comment