Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Indoctrination?

I guess today is President Obama's big speech to kids across America. I don't have kids in public school right now, so I have not had to deal with this issue. But I am wondering if any of you who do have kids in school can explain to me the controversy surrounding the speech. In particular, will someone please explain their reasons for not wanting their children to listen to the speech? I am not making any judgments one way or another. But I would love to hear someone's thoughts. On one hand, I feel it important for kids to first know who the President is, regardless of what political party they belong to. I feel the office of the Presidency is incredibly disrespected in today's society. You can disagree with the policies without disrespecting the office. After reading the speech, it seems like all the President is wanting to say is to stay in school and do your best. He doesn't say, oh, by the way, go convince your parents to vote for my health plan or anything of the sort. Would there be this opposition if it were President McCain and not President Obama? I'm just curious. It's worth noting that former Presidents Reagan and Bush (Senior) did speeches like this during their administrations. But maybe I am missing something here. All opinions are welcome.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Bobby and I totally had a huge discussion about this!! Bobby said he would take our kids out, and I say leave them in. I totally agree with you that our children should know who the President is and what not. My opinion on it is that I am going to watch the speech (and when I have kids in school),I would allow my kids to watch the speech and then discuss it with them afterwards especially if I disagreed with anything he said. I feel like we need to teach our children that we need to educate ourselves on the issues and have an actual foundation of why we disagree with any politician instead of just refusing to hear the other side of the argument. Opposition is in all things and we must know what we have to defend ourselves against. That's what I think about it, talk to Bobby and you would get an ear full of the other side of the argument. =)

Tricia said...

I just posted something about this on my blog. http://www.accentmusictherapy.blogspot.com/

You and your blog followers are welcome to check it out and leave comments.

And, no, I don't think there would be any opposition if it were a republican president giving a speech. So sad.

Emily said...

Why the controversy? Lack of information. We tend to act and react before we have all the information. I was a little apprehensive that my school children would be spending part of their school day listening to a speech. I don't think it's the best use of their day when they're so young but once I looked up the speech and it's purpose I no longer was worried about anything that they would be hearing or learning. If you'd like to read the speech it's at http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Anyway, we all need to do a little better about looking at all the facts before we judge!