I promise that I will not turn our family blog into my political thoughts but I could not help myself this time. I hope I do not make anyone uncomfortable. I welcome any comments, both those that agree and disagree with me. In reading a Fox News Dynamic poll of 900 registered voters I came across the following:
In thinking about the funding of the federal government, which of the following statements do you believe?
(1) The federal government has plenty of its own money without using taxpayer dollars, or (2) the federal government is entirely funded by taxpayers and taxpayer dollars (3) Neither (4) Don't know.
24% of those polled said the government has plenty of its own money and doesn't use taxpayer dollars! Are you kidding me?!? When every single day we hear of a new stimulus, bailout, or spending bill, how is it that almost 1 in 4 people (more if you include the "neither" and "I don't know"'s) don't realize this is their tax money that our lawmakers spend so freely? While I don't want to go so far as to insult people's intelligence (Glenn Beck said these people just should not get out of bed in the morning!), I was simply shocked by the results of this question. Really, I was shocked by the whole poll.
So, here's a top ten list of some of the earmarks in the latest spending bill Brother Harry Reid is trying desperately to pass: (I fully acknowledge that pork spending accounts for only a small percentage of the entire bill and that some people probably feel these projects are necessary- I just disagree. Thanks Bobby for this list)
10-$1.7 million for a honeybee lab
9- $800,000 to study catfish genetics
8- $8 billion train from Las Vegas to San Francisco
7- $5 million for salaries at the Sugar Beet Lab in Michigan
6- $500,000 for the fruit fly research
5- $200,000 for Tattoo removal in Los Angeles
4- $400,000 to train teachers on bullying
……and the bronze, silver and gold go to these stars:
3- $59 million to study the mating habits of the Pacific salmon
2- $2 million for astronomy awareness in Hawaii
1- $1.8 million to study the effect of swine odor on the environment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am speachless. Really. What is the world coming to?
I've been saying for years that the govt. needed to spend money to study the effect of the smell of pigs on the environment. I mean, they smell! It's got to be doing something to the environment, right?!
First. I think that the 24% who don't realize that the government is spending their money must be people who don't make enough money to owe any taxes. In fact, those people are probably living off of taxpayers' $ as well.
Second. I think the real injustice in the spending bill is that the Pacific salmon are getting $59 million while catfish are only getting $800,000. Aren't all fish created equal?
Third. Pigs smell sooooo bad. I'm not even joking.
Also, I don't think you should nix the political posts. You present your opinions well and it's nice to read blogs that aren't totally about people's kids (like mine sometimes is).
Post a Comment