Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Time to talk...

What if you had 24 hours of uninterrupted time to talk to your spouse? Would you even want that? Would you run out of things to say? What on earth would you talk about? Spencer and I found out this weekend as we drove down to Arizona on our own while my boys flew down with Grandma. We forgot to bring any music so we were the entertainment. Here are some of our topics of conversation off the top of my head, only because it makes me laugh:

- potential baby names- Spencer wouldn't take this one seriously
- Spencer's business- whether to expand, take on a partner, etc.
- our callings and potential ward activities
- the Utah basketball coach's post BYU game comments to the media (specifically how this relates to Max Hall's "classless" comments)
- the use of wormholes by heavenly messengers in the scriptures (this was all Spencer)
- LOST theories- this actually took a long time- that show can really get you talking
- the age of the Earth and where dinosaurs fit in
- which temple movie and Satan we prefer
- how ugly the desert really is
- what kind of people live in these tiny towns along the highway and why they would want to
- how socioeconomic status relates to school performance
- our kids' upcoming birthdays and what to get them
- the national debt
- the dangers of progressivism in politics
- the second coming (a favorite for Spencer)
- why we married each other
- BYU football predictions for this season
- the new Church purpose statement
- Stake Conference
- our dream house (me) our dream lot (Spencer)
- "skeletons in our closets"
- our "pet policy" and the debate of big dogs vs little dogs
- the weather- we had the WORST driving conditions, both ways too! The same thing happened when we drove to Arizona last year- I'm afraid that if we tried to drive down in June there would be some freak tornado hit us or something

It's amazing that we really never ran out of things to talk about. On our first date, we went out to dinner first and ended up so engrossed in our conversation that we missed our next activity. It's reassuring to know we haven't lost that yet.

7 comments:

Amie said...

That list is awesome. My sister and I were talking about the age of the Earth and where dinosaurs fit in just the other day (didn't solve anything). How fun that you were able to spend time together like that. And, how cool that your mom was willing to fly with the boys! She is so sweet. :)

The Wards said...

Interesting and fun topics!!! We always enjoy conversation when we are not interrupted with kid talk - even though that is fun too! I hope you had a great time in Arizona!!

Karen said...

I was once told by a friend, that you know "if it'll work" by how well you talk in the car on long road trips. He brought this up, because Jeremy and I took a trip to visit my sister in Vegas, while we were dating. Sounds like you guys have alot to talk about, and that's awesome!

Oh, and I think it's great that someone else talks about which movie they prefer at the temple. :)

Melanee said...

Twenty-four hours alone? Without kids? Sounds like heaven.

A and N said...

I can't imagine having that much time alone with Alan!

Brittney said...

That was quite a list... you can tell Spencer that I really like to talk about the Second Coming too, I don't know why it is just so interesting!

Tricia said...

You didn't talk about who you think the most attractive couple in the ward is? What?