Friday, November 6, 2009

Remember Thanksgiving?

So the other day I was in a certain big box store which shall remain nameless and was somewhat dismayed by the blatant Christmas decorations everywhere. The ads were even advertising for Christmas too. Now I love Christmas as much as the next person, but really! It's only the first week of November!

The real reason I was mildly bothered by this is with Christmas everywhere already, I feel Thanksgiving gets left in the dust. And Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday. How could you not like Thanksgiving? Here's my ode to Thanksgiving, or at least a few of my reasons for loving it:

- The food. Enough said :) Any holiday that celebrates food is good enough for me. And I do like to cook.
- Family. Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to get together with family. We usually spend the holiday with Spencer's family and I love it.
- Football. Whether it's a family game in the backyard, a ward get together, or an NFL classic, you can't go wrong all day.
- The BYU/Utah game. I know, let the eye rolls begin. This game usually takes place around Thanksgiving weekend and win or lose, it's always fun.
- Emphasis on gratitude. Thanksgiving gives you such a wonderful chance to remember just how much we have been blessed. I think it is especially interesting that we take this time to remember how much we have just before we go on a spending frenzy for Christmas!
- The colors. I love fall colors- they are my favorite.
- The history. Thanksgiving is great for anyone who enjoys learning about the history of our country.
- No gifts. There is no pressure to buy anything for anyone.
- Naps. Is there anything better than the traditional tryptophan-induced Thanksgiving nap?

I'm sure there are more. But I'll just repeat that I really do love Thanksgiving, and I will continue to refuse to get into the Christmas spirit until Black Friday. :)

5 comments:

The Wards said...

I'm probably one of the few, but I think Thanksgiving and Christmas go hand in hand!! I'm just waiting for FM 100 to start playing Christmas music, even though I am thrilled about Thanksgiving coming up too!!! When I think about the "holidays", I think of both Christmas and Thanksgiving - I know, this probably bugs a lot of people, but I can't help but get excited about ALL of it - right now!!!

Natalie said...

Since Thanksgiving is largely under-commercialized it leaves it as one of our last unspoiled holidays in my opinion. Unfortunately, because we are so used to being inundated with marketing related to the next major holiday Thanksgiving is too often almost overlooked! I think the more thankful we are for our blessings and those around us, the more ready we are to be able to celebrate the true spirit of Christmas.

A and N said...

I adore Thanksgiving AND Christmas and we celebrate both together! I let the kids start listening to CHristmas music right after Halloween and we set up the tree the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving. We do this for several reasons, one being that THanksgiving weekend is busy and we're not always going to be at our own house for which leads to number two: the decorations brings a special sense of anticipation and excitement and a wonderful spirit in the home and they're up for such a short time as it is, why not put them up longer? I love Thanksgiving, but it is really about giving thanks and what more is there to be grateful for than the birth, life, and sacrifice of our Savior?

Karen said...

Did you see the house on 1200 has their Christmas lights up?! I also heard FM 100 playing their Christmas music, which I normally love, but, not quite ready for (it made me a bit sick). I love Thanksgiving, too. Let's have that, although I've started my Christmas shopping...am I being hipocrical?

My favorite thing about Thanksgiving is family. It's the one holiday that I drive or have family drive to be with. (and it has to be my family :))

The Watkins said...

So in the mood for Thanksgiving!! We're driving, yes, driving all the way to California to see family and friends. I have to admit, I will probably listen to Christmas music along the way in the 21 plus hour car ride. However, I will NOT be shopping for Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. (or maybe not at all seeming we are going on a family vacation right before) Anyway, LOVE this holiday and time of year. I totally agree with the food thing and taking a nap. Divine! Such a great holiday!