Spencer and I have always considered it our patriotic duty to stay informed of what's going on in the political arena. We always vote, send letters to our congressmen, follow the news, and constantly debate the issues with each other, despite being on the same side (it's about as close to arguing as we get). Needless to say, we have been following Pres. Obama's push for health care reform. As someone who is apparently considered wealthy enough by insurance companies and the government to pay for everyone else's health care, we are very interested in this topic. I won't go into our thoughts on the topic because we have A LOT to say. But one thing that I did come across yesterday totally made me laugh. Spencer and I are huge believers in personal responsibility when it comes to health care. However I guess that is not politically correct. Lawmakers cite reports that the majority of Americans don't agree with us. According to one poll, only 37% of Americans feel those that are overweight should be charged more for insurance, despite way more than half of health care costs being attributed to unhealthy weight... well DUH!!!! The other 63% are the ones that are overweight!!!! What a stupid poll. But it did make me laugh. I mean absolutely NO OFFENSE by this post. I know this is something people truly struggle with or may be genetically prone to, so I don't mean to make light of the situation. That being said, I do also believe that part (and only part) of health care reform needs to be to tell people to put down the donuts!
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Health care
Spencer and I have always considered it our patriotic duty to stay informed of what's going on in the political arena. We always vote, send letters to our congressmen, follow the news, and constantly debate the issues with each other, despite being on the same side (it's about as close to arguing as we get). Needless to say, we have been following Pres. Obama's push for health care reform. As someone who is apparently considered wealthy enough by insurance companies and the government to pay for everyone else's health care, we are very interested in this topic. I won't go into our thoughts on the topic because we have A LOT to say. But one thing that I did come across yesterday totally made me laugh. Spencer and I are huge believers in personal responsibility when it comes to health care. However I guess that is not politically correct. Lawmakers cite reports that the majority of Americans don't agree with us. According to one poll, only 37% of Americans feel those that are overweight should be charged more for insurance, despite way more than half of health care costs being attributed to unhealthy weight... well DUH!!!! The other 63% are the ones that are overweight!!!! What a stupid poll. But it did make me laugh. I mean absolutely NO OFFENSE by this post. I know this is something people truly struggle with or may be genetically prone to, so I don't mean to make light of the situation. That being said, I do also believe that part (and only part) of health care reform needs to be to tell people to put down the donuts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You don't even want to bring up this topic around Jeremy. He's driving me crazy! He's so mad about it all that I have to hear about it just about every day. I'll have to tell him that he needs to come across the street and spend a few hours "chating" with you guys! :)
Good for you for getting involved. He'd like me to become as passionate about it all. Too bad I'm just too tired with all of the other stuff that goes on in my Mommy-life. :)
Post a Comment